Saturday, January 1, 2011

Country Diary Of An Edwardian Lady greets the New Year, Birds egg coddler

Greetings to everyone on this, the first day of 2011. Amazing...how did we get here so fast???


It was 20 degrees, totally clear with a hard frost this morning at 8am when I remembered to look at the thermometer. It reminded me of the January 1 post from The Country Diary Of An Edwardian Lady by Edith Holden that was published in 1906 from a combination diary and watercolour journal. The entry for January 1st reads:


Jan.1, New Year's Day. Bright and cold with hard frost.


Edith Holden lived iat Gowan Bank, Olton Warwickshire, England which is not far from my husband's birthplace. She called her diary Nature Notes and it is a joy everyday with her talented renderings in watercolor of the creatures and places around her.













I found the book in England in 1977 and have read and reread it often. The book is a joy and a comfort!


Staying in the bird theme, here is a favorite design of the Royal Worcester egg coddlers that we sell at Time Was Antiques called Birds with a single wren on one side and 2 finches, I think, on the other. It is so cute! 








For more info or to purchase use this link to the Time Was Antiques website for the: Royal Worcester Birds egg coddler


They is having the Audubon Society Christmas Bird Count here in Sequim so it will be interesting to see the results later.


My husband is watching Arsenal FC beating Birmingham on Fox Soccer channel and is not a happy camper. Aston Villa is his home favorite but Birmingham his second fave, and....not going well. Hope you have good results with all the bowl games. We laughed when we discovered the Pinstripe Bowl a few days ago. Ever heard of that one? We hadn't.


Have a wonderful day, a holiday for many, and I hope you are looking forward to the year with optimism, hope and faith.

1 comment:

Savories of life said...

I know this is an old post but it caught my eye. I love her book! Did you ever see the movie, I enjoy it to. You country is one of my favrites and I hope to visit some day. Check me out.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

background