Monday, September 19, 2011

Teacup Tuesday Royal Doulton Brambly Hedge, London Taxi Poem

Welcome to the Tuesday blog parties where everything relates to taking tea. I have the list of parties I am joining at the bottom.


This is a boxed teacup and here is a panel from the box. I love it!


As it is looking and feeling like autumn, I am sharing the Autumn cup and saucer made by Royal Doulton, England from the wonderful books by Jill Barklem called Brambly Hedge. I used to teach kindergarten and they were a favorite with the children...as well as myself. The illustrations are fabulous!
For more info on the Brambly Hedge Autumn cup and saucer at Time Was Antiques, click on the photos.

From the website home page:

Welcome to Brambly Hedge

Brambly Hedge is on the other side of the stream, across the field. If you can find it, and if you look very hard amongst the tangled roots and stems, you may even see a wisp of smoke from a small chimney, or through an open door, a steep flight of stairs deep within the trunk of a tree. For this is the home of the mice of Brambly Hedge. The mice of Brambly Hedge live together in a close-knit community making best use of what each season has to offer.

 Now this doesn't relate to teacups necessarily, other than the link of taking tea really being popularized in the UK, but I came across a poem to the London Taxi:

The London taxi is a relic
For which my zeal is evangelic.
It's designed for people wearing hats,
And not for racing Bonneville Flats.
A man can get out, or a lady in;
When you sit, your knees don't bump you chin.
The driver so deep in the past is sunk
That he'll help you with your bags and trunk;
Indeed he's such a fuddy-duddy
That he calls you Sir instead of Buddy.

Ogden Nash (who else??!)




All because I was looking at the September/October 2009 issue of Victoria magazine with the title The Return of our British Issue, for which I was highly delighted.

I am joining the following tea time blogs today:

Kathy~  http://blissfulrhythm.blogspot.com/
Victoria - A Return to Loveliness
Martha~  http://www.marthasfavorites.com/ 
Teacup Tuesday
 
Terri~  http://artfulaffirmations.blogspot.com/ 
Teacup Tuesday
Wanda Lee~  http://silkenpurse.blogspot.com/ 
Teapot and Tea Things Tuesday
 
Pam~  http://breathoffreshair-paperbutterfly.blogspot.com/ 
Teapot and Tea Things Tuesday
 
Wanda Lee~  http://theplumedpen.blogspot.com/ 
Tea For Two and Wednesday Tea For Me and Thee
Trisha~  http://sweetology101.blogspot.com/ 
Tea Party Tuesday
Lady Katherine~  http://ladykatherineteaparlor.blogspot.com/ 
Teatime Tuesday
Teatime Tuesday 
 

10 comments:

Johanna Gehrlein said...

Hello Ruth,
this Beatrix Potter cup is just perfect for fall season. This pictures always make me smile. That brightens my soul. Thank you for sharing.
Best greetings, Johanna

Sandi@ Rose Chintz Cottage said...

Dear Ruth,
Your post is simply delightful! I love those little stories; so fanciful! Sweet little teacups and oh, I loved the taxi cars too. Anything English, I find so appealing. Thanks for sharing and for joining me for tea today.

Blessings,
Sandi

Snap said...

I love the Brambly Hedge tea cup. It is adorable with such luscious colors. Fun London Taxis! Happy Tea Day!

Judith @ Lavender Cottage said...

Your Brambly Hedge teacup is pretty, Royal Doulton makes nice china. We have a big factory outlet store near us and I love looking at all the tea things.

Bernideen said...

I wish you well at selling these pieces! The cars are so fun to see!

Olga Poltava said...

Both teacups are so lovely, but I especially like the first one. So sweet.
Happy Tea Time Tuesday!

Zaa said...

The " Brambly Hedge " collection is just the sweetest...It definately brings a smile to my face...Your taxi poem and pics were such fun...Thanks for sharing..Hugs

Wanda Lee said...

Hello there dear Ruth,

What and absolutely delicious, charming and very pretty boxed tea cup duo. I simply adore Brambly Hedge-esque designs and all Beatrix Potter illustrations!

I just love your overall story telling sweetness; it's pure delight dear lady!

Happy Tuesday Tea's and have a marvelous week!

Hugs, Wanda Lee

Terri said...

Oh I love your blog! You have so many fab posts!
Your tea cup and saucer are lovely. I do love the Brambly hedge series. I have looked at buying them before, but have yet to do so.
Thank you so much for joining in Tea Cup Tuesday! I have enjoyed my visit and I am your newest follower.
Hugs,
Terri

Anonymous said...

I want to to thank you for this good read!! I certainly enjoyed every bit
of it. I've got you book marked to look at new things you
post…

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

background