Friday, March 2, 2012

Pink Saturday Royal Wedding Bell, Colored Stones Rather than Diamonds in England

I am joining Pink Saturday with How Sweet the Sound today. The pink I found was from the design of a Prince Charles and Diana Royal Wedding bell from 1981. For more info on the bell or other Royal commemoratives at Time Was Antiques, click on the photos.




I think I thought of the wedding bell, which is by SylvaCeramics, England because of my last post about the green stone Tourmaline and Peridot ring we supplied to a couple (he's an artist in New York City) as an engagement ring. I received a lot of emails from the post asking about my comment that they are popular in the UK, and also by a number of ladies whose 20 and 30 somthing kids have also had colored stones for engagement rings recently. 


When Charles and Diana were engaged in 1980, he gave her a large blue sapphire surrounded by diamonds.



And of course, in November of 2010 their son Prince William presented the same ring to his future bride Catherine Middleton.


When Prince Andrew married Sarah Ferguson in 1986, she was given a large ruby surrounded with diamonds.


And Edward VIII gave his future wife Wallis Simpson a 20 carat emerald.


And a royal cousin Crown Prince Pavlos of Greece married Marie-Chantal in 1995, she had a large oval sapphire with heart shaped diamonds.

So it is fun to see how styles change. By the time William and Catherine's child marries, what will the trend be?

8 comments:

Michele M./ Finch Rest said...

I hadn't realized all of them were precious colored gems - that is so neat to learn!!!

And what gorgeous gems, too!

RobinfromCA said...

I love that bell. My commemorative from Diana's wedding is a tea towel with the same pictures on it!

About two months after Diana & Charles married my daughter's ballet instructor (also British) became engaged. Her ring was also a sapphire. When I asked her if it was popular because of Diana's ring and she said that in Britain a colored stone has always been traditional instead of all diamonds like here in America. I've enjoyed watching what the rings are in each royal wedding since! Thanks for the retrospective!

Antiques And Teacups said...

A very interesting post! Lots to learn. Happy PS!
Ruth

Sandi@ Rose Chintz Cottage said...

The bell is lovely. Princess Diana was so beautiful!
Those rings are magnificent although I do prefer the emerald myself as well as diamonds. Happy Pinks, Ruth!

Blessings,
Sandi

Jeanie said...

I've always enjoyed royal weddings -- they're so festive. Royal anything, really! I have a lot of Diana stuff, but most of my commemoratives are plates, dishes and mugs from coronations. Looking forward to a quick London visit in April and nabbing something related to the Jubilee!

Marti McClure said...

Love your post on Royal weddings and interesting tidbits! Happy Pink Saturday. ~Marti

Nancy said...

Such a pretty bell. And, who doesn't just love those rings?

Happy Pink Saturday.

Unknown said...

I adored Diana ... may she rest in peace. Her dil Kate is a royal beauty & full of grace. Love the memories.

I hope you will pop by to help us bring 'angel love' for a young girl who is sick.

Thank you.
Have a beautiful PS weekend ~
Marydon

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

background