Thursday, December 8, 2011

Thursday Teacups And Tea Things, Miss Read Christmas Tales Dunoon Christmas Mug

Hi there. It's Thursday Teacups And Tea Things. Thanks for joining me. I am also joining Teacup Thursday with Miss Spenser and Vintage Thingie Thursday with Coloradolady.





I love Christmas mugs...at times I have had 20 or more around the house, but tend to give them away with goodies for my tea drinking friends. But we stocked Dunoon mugs in our antique & tea items shop for years, because we loved the quality. I'm drinking my morning cuppa in one at the moment, but I'll share that one another day. ANYWAY, I recently found this one. The mug is by a favorite Dunoon artist Sue Scullard and goes back to 2001. But the design is so cute. I love the framed windows with all the Christmas goodies inside!  So this is my teacup for today.

To see more of this mug or other Christmas china or Dunoon mugs, click on the photos.


If you have followed my blog for long, you will know that I love Miss Read, the pseudonym of a teacher who wrote a large series of books about several small, rural schools in the small villages in the Cotswolds, England spanning the end of Queen Victoria's reign to World War II. They are a joy and a wonderful window into, really, a vanished England, the one related to my by my family and my husband and his family. The England they knew which is very hard to find now.

Although there are Christmas sections in many of her books, she did 2 exclusively Christmas themed books. This one, Christmas Tales,  was published in 1995. I read it every year. It is 2 stories in one book. Village Christmas which is the story of a baby born in the small village of Fairacre to a new family having difficulty fitting in with old fashioned village ways, and the child's impact on the village.

The other story is called The Christmas Mouse and is about a small boy runaway and his encounter with an elderly spinster at Christmas and other village situations and nostalgic looks back to another century and customs. The book...as all Miss Read stories are...charming, touching and uplifting. The illustrations are wonderful.





It's the sort of book that is part of my annual Christmas reading list. I sit with a lovely Christmas cup of tea in a Christmas mug and just indulge in the pleasure of good literature about the season. Ahh....what can be better???

 

Mister Linky's Magical Widgets -- Thumb-Linky widget will appear right here!
This preview will disappear when the widget is displayed on your site.
For best results, use HTML mode to edit this section of the post.

3 comments:

LV said...

Enjoyed my visit with you and seeing that interesting cup. I have not seen one like before. Nicely done.

Coloradolady said...

Really neat cup and books too! Thanks for linking in today. Happy VTT!

Priscilla said...

When things in my life are not quite what I would hope for and I'm feeling really "down" I always take out a Miss Read book. Just going to Thrush Green lets me escape this rather harsh world for the moment and regain my composure. I love Dora.
(a nice cup of tea never hurts, too)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

background